NNTPCached trouble

Hmm I am having a slight problem....
 version 2.4.0b3

I can start nntpcached fine, it contacts the news server and gets the active
list. all that works.

but I cannot get it to bind on socket 119.

In system log it give me this message this exact message.

bum nntpcached: waiting for NTTP connections on port my.ip.addr.s:119

Notice it says NTTP, probably a mispelling in there, but it does not open a
port
it will start the http port on 9119 without any problem.

Is anyone else having the same problem
Mandrake Linux 6.1
Kernel 2.2.14
pgcc-2.91.66