Re: NNTPC: Thanks and feedback

> (BTW i'm using linux 2.0.0 on this machine)
>
> I had 2 newsfeeds, from here, in France. All was fine (except the 2
> previous bugs).
> I added a third, slow newsfeed from USA. (well slow from
> here). Sometime later, nntcached died, saying
>
> Aug 28 15:16:49 popeye /usr/local/sbin/nntpcached[230]:
> sockets.c:133:Bad file number: fd too high or low (-1 vs 266)
>
> I think this has to do with fd limits (256 ?) in Linux ...
>
> I removed the newsfeed from USA, and all is fine. Is there a way to
> limit the fd limit for nntpcache ?
>
> Yann.

This isn't an fd limit problem. The remote server either died or was
unreachable when the master nntpcache daemon went to fetch overview.fmt
descriptions from it. It is not correct behavior that the master nntpcached
exits when this condition exists. I've fixed most instances of this problem
for the next release. As a work around I called nntpcached from inittab:

	nn:456:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/nntpcached -n

This was if nntpcached dies, init will start it up again.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons