Re: NNTPC: Unixware 2 patches and problems

> Hallo,
>
> > nntpcached still doesn't work on our Unixware 2.03, but I haven't
> > investigated it very much yet. All it seems to do is that it syslogd the
> > 'cwd now /etc/nntpcache' line and exits. It leaves the following files in
> > /var/spool/newscache:
> >
> > -rw-r--r--    1 news     news           0 Sep  3 23:04 cache.mmap
> > -rw-r--r--    1 news     news         392 Sep  3 23:04 nntpcache.stats
>
> Just the same as with Solaris 2.5...
> Compilation isn't a problem, but execution...
>
> Ciao!
>            /Frank

I think I have fixed this (maybe ;)). The problem is that the nntpcache
master process must mmap() around 16mb of dataspace before creating any
children, due to the way shared memory is inherrited. Previously
nntpcache used a MAP_FIXED of 0x20000000 inorder to provide consistancy
in the mappings. Some OS's didn't like having mmaps() in that region and
Sparc Ultra's refuse to do MAP_FIXED *at-all*. This is further
complicated by the fact that linux only does shared mappings on files,
some systems refuse to shared mappings on files at all and some systems
use MMAP_ANON and others emmulate MMAP_ANON via mmaping /dev/zero.

That's simplifying things a little ;)

I have Solaris2.3 (sparc), linux2.0 and FreeBSD2.2-current machines. Ports
to these seem to be working correctly at the time of writing. Linux1.2.13,
Ultrix and NeXT boxes will fail due to lack of correct mmap support. Just
about everything else *should* work fine now (at least in terms of mmaping)

Someone mentioned tin freezing. When article filters were on, and the
article was not in the cache, emit_follows() wasn't being called correctly.

I'll cut a new version in a few hours.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons