Re: NNTPC: What is triggering expire?

At 13:37 29-02-00, Bruce Hauge wrote:

>I'm using nntpcache 2.4.0b3 on an HP-UX system. My entry in nntpcache.config
>for maxArtAge is 2w. However, I'm seeing that expire is running as soon as
>a client re-connects. The message in my syslog file looks like:
>
>Feb 29 12:58:40 nntpcache-expire[13405]: expire.c:211: usedblocks = 70.2%, \
>  usedinodes = 30.5%, maxArtAge = 41s, expire ended
>
>My other entries related to expire are set to the following values:
>
># run expire if there are under this number of inodes in the cache partition
>minFilesFreePercent 10
>
># expire if there are under this number of blocks free in the cache partition
>minBlocksFreePercent 10
>
># check disk space, etc for automatic expiry this often
># (but only after a client connects or disconnects)
>expireCheckPeriod 5m
>
>Any idea what is triggering expire to run?

The trigger is the expireCheckPeriod, but I think you are wondering why
files are expired. The fact is that the names
minFilesFreePercent and minBlocksFreePercent are mislieading (to fool the
Russians, as my old teacher used to say). They shoud actually read
maxFilesUsedPercent and maxBlocksUsedPercent. So change both values to 90
and you should get wat you want. Don't change the variable names, leave
them as is (until the next version)

Regards

Niek Rijnbout.