Re: NNTPC: Postinstallation problems: syslog, multiple servers

Julian Assange wrote:

> > Problem #1: I can't see anything about nntpcache in the syslog. The syslog is
> > completely managed by a remote host (loghost). The "*.debug" output is written
> > to a file by that host but nothing could be found there about nntpcache. All
> > nntpcache logging settings are set to "Yes".
>
> Are you running nntpcache chrooted, by chance?

No.

Anyway, the problem has been fixed. I've checked the syslog.conf files this morning
and changed some entries. The problem was that the remote host was enabled for
detailed logging but that the locahost hadn't sent detailed messages to the
loghost. Sorry.

> > Problem #2: I've specified a couple of servers to get newsgroups
> > from. Unfortunately only the first two entries seem to be active. Some more
> > details about that: I have one major newsfeed and a couple of news servers for
> > specific groups:
> >
> > *             businessnews.de.uu.net.
> > netscape.*    secnews.netscape.com.
> > borland.*     forums.borland.com.
> > ...           ...
> > nntpcache.*   news.nntpcache.org.
> >
> > I've checked the news servers and except for news.nntpcache.org all servers
> > are running NNTP services on port 119 (btw, why news.nntpcache.org not?).
> >
> > However, I see only groups from the first two servers. The http statistics
> > shows traffic for all the servers (but news.nntpcache.org).
>
> What do you mean by "see"?

The newsreader does not display the expected groups in the list of newsgroups. For
instance, the news.3dfx.com server will provide some 3dfx.* newsgroups. From the
log (which is available in the meantime :-) it can be seen that nntpcache
communicates with news.3dfx.com and obtains some information (active, active.times,
etc). When I telnet to the nntpcache port and sent him an "list active 3dfx.*", no
newsgroups are displayed. My feeling is that nntpcache gets the information but for
whatever reason uses only the first two server entries.

Btw, if I telnet directly to news.3dfx.com port 119 and ask with "list active
3dfx.*" for newsgroups I get the correct list.

Some more informations for you. The nntpcache.servers file looks like this:

# host:port                     Interface     Active Act.tim Newsgrp   Group
Xover    Arts

businessnews.de.uu.net.         DEFAULT          4h     24h      2d     30m
60d     60d
secnews.netscape.com.           DEFAULT         24h      4d      4d     30m
60d     60d
forums.borland.com.             DEFAULT         24h      4d      4d     30m
60d     60d
newsgroups.intel.com.           DEFAULT         24h      4d      4d     30m
60d     60d
msnews.microsoft.com.           DEFAULT         24h      4d      4d     30m
60d     60d
cnews.corel.com.                DEFAULT         24h      4d      4d     30m
60d     60d
news.3dfx.com.                  DEFAULT         24h      4d      4d     30m
60d     60d
news.avault.com.                DEFAULT         24h      4d      4d     30m
60d     60d

#no answer from news.nntpcache.org?!
#news.nntpcache.org.            DEFAULT         24h      2d      2d     30m
60d     60d

# this line is magic. keep it.
%BeginGroups

# Understand the ordering here! The general instance should come first!

*                               businessnews.de.uu.net.
netscape.*,people.*             secnews.netscape.com.
borland.*                       forums.borland.com.
intel.*                         newsgroups.intel.com
microsoft.*                     msnews.microsoft.com
corelsupport.*                  cnews.corel.com
3dfx.*                          news.3dfx.com
avault.*,forum.*                news.avault.com
#nntpcache.*                    news.nntpcache.org.

# EoF

Information I can see in the log file:

After starting nntpcache-update connects to our main nntp uplink and obtains the
list of newsgroups. Looks very well here, binaries are stripped the rest is
accepted. Also e.g. the borland.* groups which are also at least partially provided
by the main feed are stripped because there are bound to the Borland server. So
gar, so fine.

In the next step nntpcache-update connects to the Netscape server, as expected. The
first interesting point: people.* groups are reported as not bound the netscape
server. Does the parser have a problem with the comma in the definition? I will
check...

The next server is the Intel one. All newsgroups are reported as not bound to the
server. The same applies for all remaining servers (roughly checked with logfile,
no exception found).

Regards,
Michael Siebke