Re: NNTPC: multiples servers

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 roberto.bazan@inycom.es wrote:
> hi, everybody
> i've a question,
>
> can i have two servers in nntpcache.servers as follow?:
>
> news.nuri.net.  DEFAULT         24h     4d      4d      30m     60d     30d
> news.iddeo.es.  DEFAULT         4h      2d      2d      30m     60d     30d
> %BeginGroups
> *               news.nuri.net.
> *               news.iddeo.es.
>
> And this way, if there is a group that isn't in news.iddeo.es, then it
> search in news.nuri.net.
>
> is it posibble ?

Nope - I wanted to do this too... :(

Well... If the two upstream servers have article-number sequencing,
possibly.  Otherwise (and I fear you fall into this category) it's not
possible without a major alteration to the way nntpcache works,
introducing many incompatibilities and much performance degradation.

This is because nntpcache uses the respective server's article sequence
numbers to index client-side (I think!).

--
Lloyd Rennie                   VBCnet GB Ltd	             lloyd@vbc.net
tel +44 (0) 117 929 1316    http://www.vbc.net    fax +44 (0) 117 927 2015