2.4.0b1 and AUTHINFO...

I'm trying to get nntpcached to authenticate reading/posting via
AUTHINFO so that I may allow selected individuals access to the server
based on
a username/password.  So, I added the following line to the
nntpcache.access
file:

* 			*			auth=user/pass;pipe

which I assumed would allow anyone access to everything if they had a
valid username/password.  However it would only allow them to connect to
the server, but not to read (or post) anything.  Then, I changed the
nntpcache.config file
as follows:

*			*			read,post,auth=user/pass;pipe

with the same results.  Users can connect (and it does actually verify
username/password for connection), but cannot read/post.

I know I'm probably missing something simple...  Anyone know what I've
done
wrong?

--
Eric Calvert, HGIC