Re: NNTPC: more errors

> I just tried to get NNTP cache running on BSDI, and I'm getting this error
> message:
>
> May 24 17:59:52 vineyard ./nntpcached[8770]: error in config file
> /etc/nntpcache
> .config: variable used is not known (3): string accessFile
> /etc/nntpcache.access
> : Undefined error: 0

The problem here is that non-GNU sed doesn't support the '+' regex special
character. Replace the nntpcache.config: entry in your make file with this:

nntpcache.config : conf.cf
        sed -e 's/^ *[a-zA-Z_][a-zA-Z_]* //;s/"//g' <conf.cf >$@
^^^^^^^^
(thats a tab there, not spaces)

[ ... various missing file errors ]

Those are all ok. nntpcache re-creates the various database files
automatically when it sees they are not there (which is true the first
time it runs). I guess this needs to be made clearer in the syslog.

> May 24 18:02:51 vineyard nntpcached-update[8811]: Connecting to
> suburbia.net:120
>  as 127.0.0.1

I think you may need to change your nntpcache.servers file ;)

0.87.7 fixes the sed compatibility problem (among others). I re-wrote
article.c almost from scratch. All disk reads and writes are now fully
non-buffered i.e we save or emit an entire article/header file in one
write() or read(). This is very important for high concurrent use,
because the network is usually slower than the drive spindles, and you
get nasty drive resource allocation sweeks (head seek/half spin delays)
when the data output is amortised/splayed in/out in paralell.

The article/head/body interplay is now more efficient than an nun on a
water diet. If there is a cached head and a body is asked for then it is
merged into a full article (which is then cached).  If there is a cached
head and an article is asked for, nntpcache asks the server for a body
and merges it into a full article (which is then cached).  If there is
an article and a head or body is asked for, then it is extracted from
the article. If a body is asked for and neither head nor article are
cached then nntpcache gets the full article, caches it and extracts the
body. All this happens despite the fact that the article, body
or header may being referred to by <msgid> or may be on one of a range
of servers. Ewww.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons