Re: NNTPC: nntpcache.access: cannot allow global read permissions

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> deborah:/a/home/clameter$ grep -v "^#" /etc/nntpcache/nntpcache.access
> localhost               <http>          read,quick
> localhost               *               read,post,filter spam.filter
> *                       linux.*         read
> *                       comp.os.linux.* read
> *                       fuller.dialogue read
> *.fuller.edu            *               read,post
>
> But when I start a newsreader from remote I get the following message:
>
> dx66:~$ rtin
> rtin pre-1.4 release 981002 ("Phobia") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-98 Iain Lea.
> Connecting to deborah.fuller.edu...
>  access denied <chris@p60.sas16.dialup.lax1.flash.net>, you do not have
> connect permissions in the nntpcache.access file.

When you connect to your news server by name, the connecting IP is
seen as the ethernet port, not localhost (actually seen as the
"nearest" network IP the machine has to the destination address)

Add the machine's canonical name to the read permissions or set the
nntp server to be localhost and things will work.

AB