nntpcache.access: cannot allow global read permissions

I have the following in nntpcache.access:

deborah:/a/home/clameter$ grep -v "^#" /etc/nntpcache/nntpcache.access
localhost               <http>          read,quick
localhost               *               read,post,filter spam.filter
*                       linux.*         read
*                       comp.os.linux.* read
*                       fuller.dialogue read
*.fuller.edu            *               read,post

But when I start a newsreader from remote I get the following message:

dx66:~$ rtin
rtin pre-1.4 release 981002 ("Phobia") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-98 Iain Lea.
Connecting to deborah.fuller.edu...
 access denied <chris@p60.sas16.dialup.lax1.flash.net>, you do not have
connect permissions in the nntpcache.access file.

The access file DOES allow read permissions! What are the "connect"
permissions? There is some vague reference in the config file.