Re: NNTPC: Servers

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 james@wwnet.net wrote:

> Ok, I guess I am not being very clear.  Ill ask a different question
> instead, I have access to 2 servers running INN, one of them is slower but
> has a higher retension time, the other is fast but only keeps articles 2
> weeks.  What is the optimial way to set this up with nntpcache?
>
> James

  You can't.  That would involve merging which would be very difficult to
even implement, especially since it seems that both servers you have
access to probably have very different article numbering.  I'm not saying
that feature will never appear in nntpcache, but it will very difficult.
nntpcache would have to a great deal more work as well.  nntpcache would
have to maintain a complete message-id <-> aritlce-number database per
server and per group.  nntpcache would have to merge all databases for
each group, and produce its own article numbering for the group.

Tom