Re: NNTPC: Servers

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998 james@wwnet.net wrote:

> Unless my thinking is wrong, I was planning on having a primary nntp
> server that it would cache everything (this machine only keeps articles

  Cache?  Is this server running nntpcache or a normal nntp server?

> for 2 weeks but is a very fast machine and network connection).  And then
> the secondary nntp server keeps articles for much longer (2 months) but is
> a slower machine and is more costly to connect to.

  I still don't really understand still.  You aren't clear whether
about what is a server, and what is cache.  Are you talking about:

client ---> NNTPCache #1 ---> NNTPCache #2 ---> NNTP Server

  Where cache #1 has storage for a two weeks, and cache #2 has storage for
2 months.  This is easy enough to do.

or:

                        /----- NNTP server #1

client --> NNTPCache ---|

                        \----- NNTP server #2

  Where server #1 has storage for two weeks and server #2 has storage for
2 months.  This can't be done, and is very difficult to implement if the
NNTP servers don't use the same article numbering (ie. slaved servers).

> James

Tom