Re: NNTPC: expiry

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Markus Storm wrote:

> Tom wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Martin Rheumer wrote:
> >
> > > My expiry doesnt seem to work.
> > > The drive just fills up.
> > > Running solaris 2.5.1 and a 2.5 Gbyte partition.
> > > Anyone got any hints ?
> > >
> > > Martin
> >
> >   How big is your cache partition?  How much does it grow per day?  What
> > is "maxArtAge" set to in nntpcache.config?
> >
> > Tom
>
> I have the same problem (2 Gigs and maxArtAge 4d, now 2d).
> kill -USR2 doesn't seem to work.
> nntpcached -e works, but according to I think it was the faq it only
> works when nntpcached isn't running (by the way, does this mean the main
> process may no longer be running oder does this also apply to leftover
> reader processes ?)

  I don't think so.  You can even use "find" to remove articles if you
want.

> Isn't nntpcached supposed to automatically start expiry when
> minBlocksFree is reached and throw out everything that is older than
> maxArtDays ?

  Yes.

> What happens if no articles are older than maxArtDays but free space is
> still less than minBlocksFree ?

  Nothing is removed.

> Hell, better throw out new articles than crash the cache due to full
> disks.

  It is pretty simple to calculate maxArtAge so this doesn't happen.

> Could some wise one please shed light on how expiry is supposed to work
> ?

  You've pretty much got it.  Expiration is started automatically when
free space drops below minBlocksFree and removes all items older than
maxArtAge.  You can check the stats page to see how often expiration has
been run, and how many articles it has removed.

  I run nntpcache with a 16GB cache, and expiration works very smoothly.
I just have problems with dead nntpcache reader processes chewing up CPU
time (nntpcache idle timeout code is buggy).

> Thanks,
> Markus

Tom
begin:vcard