Re: NNTPC: expiry

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Markus Storm wrote:

> Tom wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Markus Storm wrote:
> >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > is there any way to control expiry in 2.3.3 like in INN (e.g. binaries max. 1
> > > day, rest 7 days) ?
> >
> >   Nope, nntpcache's expiration is better :) as it will cache what people
> > read.  It isn't fully LRU though, but we can hope.
>
> I'd call it better, too. But my users don't. They want group X to be provide Y
> days of articles, no matter what the others read.

  Uhhh... but that is the job of the news server, not nntpcache.
nntpcache (as do all caches) saves bandwidth by caching things that users
request.  If items are no longer on your home server, there isn't too much
you can do about it.

> With many dont-know-how-to-call-them-just-viewing-pictures-guys, LRU w/
> limited disk space is a problem for those who read serious groups.

  If your disk space is really limited, you might want to disable article
caching.  Although giving more disk space to nntpcache pays for itself.
I'm currently up to a 40% hit rate (this is calcuated by byte, not by
item).

> Besides, wasn't it supposed to start expiring when minBlocksFree is reached?
> Looks like this doesn't work for me.

  Yes, it does.  You should see how many times the expiration has been run
in the stats.  However, if maxArtAge is too high, the expiration might not
be doing much.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Markus
> >
> > Tom