Re: NNTPC: active file confusion

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Tom wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Jeffrey Veiss wrote:
>
> > It seems that the active file data (I assume is stored in memory) is out of
> > date.  What is the best way to keep this data up to date?  I have the
>
>   It should happen automatically as set by the Active time-to-live value
> in the nntpcache.servers file.
>
>   I'd check the web interface and look for active file rebuild
> failures.  This interface will also show you the last sucessful active
> file transfer.
>
>   If nntpcache fails to transfer the active file, it has to use old info.
> The new nntpcache 2.3.3 betas are a little better with old info.

Tom and all,

According to the web page, the active file is getting updated ok, but the
low article number is what isn't the same as the server.  What other factors
exactly are taken into consideration when an active file update occurs?
It doesn't seem to be simply "list active" from the server and go.  It seems
that the hi and lo article numbers are modified according to the current
state of the cache server.  Of course, this doesn't explain why killing and
restarting the cache daemon seems to completely correct the problem.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Please contact me if there are any further questions via INTERNET mail at
jsv@bms.com, not cc:mail.  Thank you very much!

Jeffrey Veiss (jsv@bms.com)                 PO Box 5400
Network Engineer                            Princeton, NJ 08543-5400
Corporate Telecommunications                (609) 818-3308
Bristol-Myers Squibb                        (609) 818-7814 (fax)