Re: NNTPC: improved lo/hi behaviour

On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 06:49:07PM -0400, Evan Champion wrote:

> Why are those ones in the middle all null?

What's running on your remote server, another nntpcache server? My guess would
be that the xover records for the middle range has all expired (which is
typical for an nntpcache server).  To verify that, just do a manual xover
directly to the remote server.

The fact that they're empty is a bug in the xover code.  It doesn't write out
the changes if no new xover info were received.

> When I closed my connection and asked again for that xover range, all the
> null files were removed.

Since they're less than 2K.

> If I ask for a range that either just starts or starts and ends in the null
> zone, it will transfer the articles again.  If I ask for a range that ends
> in the non-null zone, it will skip all the xover data for the null zone.
> That's where I'm losing my headers!

There is somoe bugs in the xover code that might cause this.  Please test my
next patch when it is ready.

> Any ideas as to what it could be doing?

Well basically the problem is that the xover info has expired remotely, and
your nntpcache server is not remembering this fact due to a bug in xover.c.