nntpcache not returning all articles?

I just noticed an odd problem where nntpcache does not seem to return all
articles in a newsgroup.

For one of the newsgroups that I read, nntpcache returns 10k articles, but
on the parent server there are 40k articles in that group.  Resetting my
client's news pointers doesn't help.

This happened at least once before.  At that time, I nuked
/var/spool/nntpcache and I think (but am not 100% sure) that sorted things
out, until now when I noticed this other group started to miss articles.

Has anyone else noticed this?  If so, what did you do to fix it?

Evan