non-empty groups reported as empty

Jon Tombs <jon@gte.esi.us.es> wrote a while ago:
:  suck uses
:  xhrd Message-id min-
:
:  to get all the message ids of the message required. nntpcache currently
:  returns an empty list :-(

This would appear to be the cause of a problem I'm seeing, which is
that all of the newsreaders I've tried against the server (0.88.3)
falsely report groups that have articles as being empty, and therefore
beneath notice.  As far as Netscape is concerned, nothing's there.
With trn, explicitly entering a group anyway usually shows a handful
of available articles.

I've played with the timeout settings in nntpcache.servers, but it
doesn't have any effect (it's not completely clear what these settings
are supposed to do, fwiw).

Or am I looking completely in the wrong direction?

	Dworkin