Re: NNTPC: nntpcache really slow with grabber

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Evan Champion wrote:

> Has anyone tried nntpcache 2.3.2.1 with grabber?
>
> Try going to a huge newsgroup; something like alt.binaries.warez would do
> fine.  Then tell it to fetch the article headers.  On my nntpcache, it takes
> forever, and will stop frequently forcing me to manually resume grabbing
> articles.

This could be an articfact of the parent INN server. 1.6 had
limits on the maximum number of articles which could be retrieved
in one sessions before forcible 2-3 second delays were introduced.

1.7 has it switched to optional and the threshold set to a more
sensible value than 100 articles/session.

Newshound sometimes exhibits the same behaviour.

BTW, I've had problems with nntpcache running out of filehandles
under linux a few times.

http://http://www.linux.org.za/filehandle.patch.linux has a full
patch to allow changing this. It's quite a bit more complex than
the simplistic way of altering limits.h, because that way doesn't
work well.

AB