Tin and nntpcache

I've used tin (currently v1.4) as my normal news reader for many years now
without a problem.  However, it seems to be having a problem re-reading the
active file from the new nntpcache server I set up.

In tin, if you press 'Y' or after it times out, it'll re-read the active
file to see if there's any new articles.  However, unless I restart the
nntpcache daemon (which takes about 20 minutes) or enter a newsgroup and
immediately exit, it doesn't think that there are any new articles to be
read.  I've tried tin v1.3 and v1.4 and also tried removing the .tin
directory in case it was caching anything.  Quitting and restarting tin
doesn't seem to help either.

Netscape Collabra seems to re-check for new articles fine (I found a rare
problem with that as well, but it probably isn't related).  BTW, all programs
are running on Sun Ultra's running Solaris 2.6.

Any ideas as to why this is happening would be appreciated.  Thank you very
much!

Jeffrey Veiss (jsv@bms.com)                 PO Box 5400
Network Engineer                            Princeton, NJ 08543-5400
Corporate Telecommunications                (609) 818-3308
Bristol-Myers Squibb                        (609) 818-7814 (fax)