Re: NNTPC: newsgroups

> Hi
> When trying to go to sci.classics
> I get the following message from my news reader
> The newsgroup sci.classics was not available on the news server
> I chewcked the news server and found that the newsgroup was on it with
> articles in it.
> Can anyone please help me to get the newsgroup available for the news
> readers
>
> Thanks in advance

At a guess, it's lack of existence hadn't expired from cache yet. Why it's
lack of existence got into cache in the first place is another matter.

The relevant timeout is for the active file that covers the wildmat for that
group, and when it only checks for expiration on SIGUSR1 or when a client
connects, and if it detects cache data should be expired at that point it hands
out the existing expired data while spawning off a process to rebuild the
relevant cache data in the background, and the updated data wont appear until
the rebuild process has completed _successfully_. I would suggest:

a) check the config file for a "reasonable" timeout value.

b) check the logs to see if updates are being triggered (which would suggest that
   a) is okay), and check the process is completing succesfully. If it isn't, the
   logs should give some clues as to why not. Then if it looks like a bug, we'd
   (read: Proff) would love to know about it.

--
Luke Bowker,	puke@tinkertrain.suburbia.net (preferred), puke@deakin.edu.au
		lpb@ne.com.au

"To be so free, it took so long.
 It's not journey's end, it's just begun." - Iron Maiden