Re: NNTPC: AUTHINFO once more

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Jan Bessels wrote:

> > Our installation of innd has been hacked (by a predecessor who's
> > long gone) to enable access control based on remote-user
> > authentication (pcnfsd to be precise).  We would like to retain some
> > sort of user-based access control, alongside the IP-based control in
> > nntpcache.  I see that in this version it is not supported anymore.
> >
> > Do others use this?  What version of nntpcache supports this?  Or
> > have you hacked it yourselves?

I've hacked in support to use standard authinfo support from the
/etc/password file.

Proff's said that he'll have the auth code back in the next minor release.
But seeing all the problems he's had recently who knows when that might
be.  (Something about his house burning down.. then someone stealing the
suburbia.net/nntpcache.org servers)

Flat password authentication isnt hard at all to hack in.
That however doesnt really do me any good.  I was hoping to beable to have
it read the nis passwd file.. but simply having in the usual +::0:0::
in the password file didnt work as i was guessing it might.

I havent had a chance to add in all the other support i've wanted to... as
one of our main servers lost a disk in the stripe... and we'd just
unmirored the stripe to do other testing.. Whoops... no more spool :(
re-populating that 100Gb sucks :(

Hopefully if i can get the spool re-populated in the next day or so..
i'll go back and fix the authinfo code so it will work on /etc/passwd
or nis...

	-Daved