Re: NNTPC: nntpcache as frontend to outsource news provider

> I'm surprised a provider is charging per number of concurrent connects.
> I'd have thought that they'd charge on a "number of IP addresses" or
> "articles served" or "overall traffic Mb" basis.

most commercial providers do charge this way.  i've just been through this
process here when we were looking to outsource news briefly as we dealt
with a flakey news server.

supernews, newsread and zippo all charge per maximum number of concurant
readers.  if you were doing this with nntpcache the main advantage i would
see wouldn't be reduction of charge from the news provider but rather
improved response times for your clients and reduced bandwidth costs
because of caching.

you can't have your cake and eat it too ;)

adam.

ps. hi alan.

 4050 Lake Otis		    Adam Shand        (v) +1 907 562 4638
 Anchorage, Alaska    Systems Administrator   (f) +1 907 562 1677
----------------- http://larry.earthlight.co.nz ------------------