Re: NNTPC: nntpcache as frontend to outsource news provider

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Tom wrote:

>   I'd like to know how effective nntpcache is in this situation.
> Particularly on how whether you can get away with leasing less connections
> from the upstream server, then you actually need, because of benefits of
> caching.

I have nntpcached feeding primarily off a site I co-admin in
Chicago.  Whenever I check during evening peaks, nntpcache has at
least a dozen parallel connects open.

I'd suggest that if you're doing it to try and reduce the number of
connects to the upstream, some code hacking would have to be done
to add a "MaxUpstreamConnects" parameter.

You can restrict nntpcached to one connect to the upstream server
by specifying a port to bind to in nntpcached.access (this caught
me out when I was trying to track usage and thought I'd be smart by
making nntpcached use one port per upstream, but it was a slow dog
when set that way), however there's no intermediate stage available
between one and unlimited as far as I can see.

I'm surprised a provider is charging per number of concurrent
connects. I'd have thought that they'd charge on a "number of IP
addresses" or "articles served" or "overall traffic Mb" basis.

AB