Re: Boot stucks at "Loading initial ramdisk"

On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 5:07 PM Dileep Sankhla <dileepsankhla.ds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Soumya,

On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 2:24 PM Soumya Negi <soumya.negi97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Dileep,

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 05:58:23PM +0530, Dileep Sankhla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have cloned and built the latest rc kernel using the default config but
> on boot, it stucks at "Loading initial ramdisk". I have tried booting after
> removing the "quiet" option from the kernel parameters just before
> selecting the kernel from the grub menu. I have also tried adding
> "dis_ucode_ldr" parameter to the initial parameters but all in vain.
>
> How to look for the underlying issue and solve it?
>
> Regards,
> Dileep

I had this issue as well. I found a solution on stackexchange(..I think)
that I wanted to link here.. but can't seem to find it now. For reference, I
was using Ubuntu. This was my case:

* Possible reason - initrd.img file is too large
I checked the size of initrd.img-<kernel name> at /boot. The file was ~500mb,
much larger than the initrd for the kernel that came with Ubuntu(~40mb)

* Possible solution -
Before installing the kernel, change  MODULES=most to MODULES=dep  in
/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to generate smaller initrd.img files.
The new initrd's for all other kernels I have installed afterwards have been
~55MB.

Thanks for your solution. Mine is fine in size and I am already using MODULES=dep.

Sorry, my bad. I thought 18M was good enough but after asking this on LinuxQuestions.org, I got to know that it was not sufficient for the boot success (see [1]). Copying the existing kernel version's config from `/boot` and running `make olddefconfig` solved the size issue for me. It is now ~78M. The size of the kernel's initrd that I was using earlier is ~71M.

Regards,
Soumya Negi

Regards,
Dileep.