Re: Seeking Guidance for New SPI Driver in Mainline Linux Kernel

In the previous email, I mentioned that the FPGA hardware(SPI block)
was connected to the Linux system using the PCIe interface. Here, when
I refer to the Linux system, I mean an x86-based Linux system, not an
ARM-based embedded system.

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 7:28 PM Raul Piper <raulpblooper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Have you gone through the bindings documentation for spi driver?
> What are the pin configuration for your hardware sli?
> Br
>
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 at 6:40 PM, Muni Sekhar <munisekharrms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Linux Kernel Community,
>>
>> I hope this email finds you well.
>> I am writing to seek your guidance and assistance regarding the
>> development of a new SPI device driver for our hardware system.
>> Our hardware, implemented on an FPGA, features an SPI interface that
>> acts as a Master, offering two distinct modes for data transmission
>> and reception.
>> This hardware is connected to the Linux system via the PCIe bus.
>> This hardware offers two modes for communication: using registers for
>> debugging purposes and utilizing DMA channels for high-bandwidth
>> applications. Both modes leverage the PCIe interface for data
>> exchange.
>> The hardware boasts several noteworthy features, including support for
>> multiple speed settings, SPI port switching, configurable sample edge
>> programming, and adjustable SPI transfer sizes.
>>
>> As we embark on the task of developing a device driver for this SPI
>> interface, we intend to follow best practices and leverage existing
>> resources within the Mainline Linux kernel tree. To achieve this, we
>> plan to refer to and adapt existing SPI drivers.
>> We kindly request your recommendations on which existing SPI driver
>> within the Mainline Linux kernel tree would serve as the most suitable
>> reference for our endeavor. Your invaluable expertise would greatly
>> aid us in ensuring the success of this driver development process.
>> Thank you for your time and consideration. We eagerly anticipate your
>> guidance and insights.
>>
>> Warm regards,
>> Sekhar

Thanks,