Re: Looking for ways to contribute

I can recommend something I did:

Read and figure out network source code (whatever interests you in net/ipv4/ for example) and wheneever you have understood what a function does write some documentation for it (ideally in the kerneldoc format) and submit this doc as your patch.

Also, as a prerequisite, I recommend you to read "Linux Kernel Development" by Robert Love. It's important to get the fundamental differences to user space. For example the whole thing that there is process context and interrupt context. And what softirqs are.

-- Richard