Re: Starting to learn Linux...

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 11:49 AM Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 01:24:18PM +0530, Deepak Goel wrote:
> This link is good. However it is listing all the software which runs on
> Linux-kernel. I want to know what's going on inside the Linux-kernel
> (thread management, memory management, interface to devices, etc).

What of the many free books and other online resources have you read
that did not cover this well already?  Specific questions are best, and
also, you have access to the whole source code of Linux, have you tried
reading that and just following the basic code flows of something
"simple" to understand this type of thing?

Is there a tiered list of portions of the kernel to have a look at? I'm thinking of something like this:

* If you want to learn about USB drivers, have a look at the very simple foo-driver. Then, you could look at bar-driver. If you grasped all the concepts, have a look at veryadvanced-driver.
* For char drivers, you could start with this driver, then this other driver and end with...
* For block drivers...
* For network drivers...

I think this might be extended to core components of the kernel, although it might be a bit more complicated:

* For process creation and destruction have a look at this. For advanced topics, have a look at that (this would be specific code parts/snippets).
* For memory management, have a look at this for simple usage/understanding, and that for advanced topics.

 Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming to open foo.c and get lost in the details.

Do you know if there is such a list? Would it be difficult to create one?

Thanks,

thanks,

greg k-h