Can KASAN be used with loadable modules?

I'm trying to use the address sanitizer (KASAN) with a loadable module, but so far haven't been able to make it work. I compiled a kernel with KASAN and tested to see that it detects errors properly with kernel files, but when I compile a loadable module with that kernel, the module is not configured for KASAN (e.g. missing CFLAGS switches). Furthermore, I found that the lib/include/config/auto.conf file in the /lib/modules/xxx directory is different from the one in the kernel build directory. I tried copying the auto.conf file from the kernel directory to lib/modules/xxx, but then the module build fails during the link step with missing symbols such as __asan_handle_no_return.

Is KASAN known to work with modules? If so, is any additional configuration needed for a module to use KASAN?

-John-