Re: How do I start contributing to the Linux kernel?

Hello,

by the way i found a nice e-mail from Valdis :)

https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2017-April/017765.html

if you want to work on next?

$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
$ git remote add linux-next git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
$ git fetch linux-next
$ git fetch --tags linux-next
$ git remote update

linux - current kernel
linux-next - next kernel implementation

for first step navigate kernel menu with command "make menuconfig"

make menuconfig - see kernel interactive menu
make clean - cleaned compiling
make mrproper - delete current configuritaion
make dep - ?
make bzImage - ?
make modules - only compile kernel modules
make modules_install - ?
make install - install to new kernel (read .config)

so also look at the .config file kernel config parameters most of the time and it will give you a great idea.
and also look initramfs, System.map and vmlinuz <- its a kernel :)

I wrote this e-mail as a reference and i hope @Valdis will guide or correct us for any wrong.

Regards