Re: Where to find the information how to write a state of the art USB driver?

On 1/13/22 4:33 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 07:39:38AM +0100, Philipp Hortmann wrote:
On 1/12/22 10:54 AM, Greg KH wrote:
That driver tried to be an example for an unknown device, doing multiple
different things that no single driver/device would probably ever need.
Also it can almost always just be replaced with a simple userspace
program using libusb, as I bet your driver could be replaced with as
well, right?
Yes it can be replaced by a userspace program but even this is not required.
It is an issue if you are trying to write a new driver.  We do not take
new drivers into the kernel tree if they can be in the kernel instead.

Sorry I did not clearly express what I plan to do. I plan to do maintenance and bug fixes on the kernel.

I am writing on drivers only for my personal education. No new drivers for the kernel.

Thanks for your quick and long replies.

Bye Philipp