Re: Documentation confusion on ICMP Rate Mask/Rate Limiting

> In the above-mentioned section there is a list with all types of ICMP messages. The construction of a mask is also explained with a very comprehensible example.

The order of the bits/spacing between the bits are not continuous and hence the confusion. I did provide the suspected correct mask in binary form, which seems to have been missed:
"My best guess is that is is the answer to question 21111111100100111001"

> Look at the ./ipv6 directory and then under ./icmp.
The value is here doesn't correlate with the man page.
root@host:/proc/sys/net/ipv6/icmp# cat ratemask
0-1,3-127

--
Best Regards
Daryll Swer

On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 at 14:28, FMDF <fmdefrancesco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 31 Dec 2021, 20:55 Daryll Swer, <daryllswer15@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks

So I will get straight to the point, I am trying to figure out some answers on icmp_ratelimit and icmp_ratemask based on the man page.

The questions are:
  1. How can we determine the Packet per second rate on any given rate-limit value (say 10)?
The values of icmp_ratelimit are expressed in milliseconds. The default is 1000 milliseconds.

Therefore, as in your questions, a limit of 10 milliseconds means that the rate limit is 1 message per 10 millisecond, that is 100 messages per second.

Where is the problem?

Please don't ask people here to do the trivial homework for you. :(

Maybe that this the reason why nobody has yet answered your 10 days old questions...

  1. Without of course going the hard way of benchmarking it by ICMP flooding.
This is not needed and, honestly, I cannot understand why you need to test it...

Please read the manual and my words one more time.
  1. Just what exactly is the correct mask in Binary form to include all known ICMP types instead of just the default mask? Been having a hard time with this one.
It's simple to build it. Read again the section about icmp_ratemask.

In the above-mentioned section there is a list with all types of ICMP messages. The construction of a mask is also explained with a very comprehensible example.
  1. Do we have something of this nature for IPv6 in the Kernel? I don't see it in most Linux based NetworkOSes as a documented feature.
Check it by yourself. Do you have a /proc/sys/net/ipv4 directory? Well, you should also have a /proc/sys/net/ipv6 unless you've disabled IPv6.

Look at the ./ipv6 directory and then under ./icmp.

Regards,

Fabio M. De Francesco