Re: efivars

On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, 11:57 Ruben Safir, <ruben@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why does it need the bootloader to do any of that.

You still don't want to listen: the OS does not need to use bootloaders to do the things that Greg and I listed.

It needs UEFI runtime services; please don't be lazy and read Wikipedia article whose I provided the link.

This is copy-pasted for your convenience:

"The Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)[1] is a publicly available specification that defines a software interface between an operating system and platform firmware. UEFI replaces the legacy Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) firmware interface originally present in all IBM PC-compatible personal computers,[2][3] with most UEFI firmware implementations providing support for legacy BIOS services[]".

If you spend few minutes there, you'll find also information there about the two different logical roles of UEFI:

"EFI defines two types of services: boot services and runtime services. Boot services are available only while the firmware owns the platform (i.e., before the ExitBootServices() call), and they include text and graphical consoles on various devices, and bus, block and file services. Runtime services are still accessible while the operating system is running; they include services such as date, time and NVRAM access.".

Boot services are available only while the firmware owns the platform, so please stop saying "Why does it need the bootloader to do any of that[?]"

I told you that Linux can be booted without bootloaders, but that it still needs the UEFI runtime services. I also provided a link to the Kernel official  documentation to prove it.

Anyway, it really looks like you don't care to listen and that your main interest is standing by your own (unsubstantiated) positions.

Thanks,

Fabio