Re: Seeking advice on "monkey patching" a driver

On 7/1/21 11:31 PM, Greg KH wrote:
Why are ahci devices somehow "special" here?  Just add a trigger to the
ahci core for LEDs and all should "just work".  We've done that for many
subsystems already.

It's more complicated than that, as it would need to be a separate
trigger for each drive (ATA port).

Are you sure we don't already have LED triggers for disk activity?  Have
you tried the ledtrig-disk.c driver?  It says it works on ATA devices,
no reason it can't also work for other device types.

I stumbled on that file myself last night.  I either wasn't aware of it
before, or I had forgotten its existence, possibly because it's disabled
(CONFIG_LEDS_TRIGGER_DISK=n).  As mentioned above, I would be looking to
enable "per port" LEDs, so it doesn't work in its current form.  It does
at least give me hope that enhancements might be accepted upstream.

I've invested significant time in kernel patches in the past, only to
see them ultimately not be accepted, so I would need to know that
upstream was truly interested in such a feature before I would consider
making such a commitment.

That's not fair, there is no way anyone can promise anyone that their
patches will be accepted, _before_ anyone sees them.  What would _you_
do if you were in the kernel maintainer's position and read something
like this?

You're right, but that isn't what I intended to say.  Basically, I can't
afford to invest the time in implementing something if the subsystem
maintainers have no interest in the *functionality*, regardless of the
state of the code.  I.e., if the ATA/LED subsystem maintainers think
that  software-controlled disk activity LEDs are stupid and have no
place in the kernel, then code quality is irrelevant, and anything I do
will be a waste of time.

good luck!

Thanks!