What Device Deriver Developers Do?

Hello, I've read some books (Linux Device Drivers, or Linux Kernel Development)
OK, So now I know a little bit more about linux internals..

Yeah, I thought I should know about the hardware to develop device driver.
because I'm interested in hdd and ssd, so I tried to read ATA specification.
but I don't understand EVERY sentence of that document...

Is there something I'm missing, like I should learn electronic circuit
first...? Did I try too tough thing as newbie? Or is there a good
entrypoint for developing device driver?

Thank you,
Any tiny advice will be so much helpful...!

Hyeonggon.