Re: Crash recovery kernel error

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 1:02 AM Harsh chopra <serviceprovider.tester@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I cloned the kernel from "git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git".
I selected the branch 5.7.y for building the kernel, I used the command
"make menuconfig" to select specific  modules  and to avoid other options that come up while making the .config file.

I was able to successfully install the kernel but when I started the kernel version 5.8.3+ , the system freezes with the message "see systemctl status kdump.service".
When I looked in the logs I found this message "Failed to start Crash recovery kernel arming"
My operating system is Centos 7.8.2003 kernel 3.10.
Any help will be appreciated.

Try to duplicate the CentOS  kernel's config instead of using/creating your own, you probably missed one or more needed config item.

Or better, use rpm/rpm source from elrepo (google for the url). It takes stable/mainline kernel and make it (as much as possible) work with CentOS

Mind you that CentOS 7 is based on 3.10.x kernel and you're trying to run 5.x kernel, something that might not work due to incompatibility of API/ABI

Hope it helps

regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant