Re: Computing resources required for kernel development

On Sat 30 May, 2020, 20:57 Harsh chopra, <serviceprovider.tester@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have been following the Kernel Hacking steps to submit my first patch but I am facing problem in the kernel compilation as its taking more than a day may be due to low computing resources..
I have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with 4GB  DDR3 ram 1 TB HDD, Intel i3  2.GHZ and 4 cores but I have been using virt-manager for the kernel development with CentOS 8.1 (minimal req.) and  resources 70 GB storage, 2 GB ram and 2 cores.
Thus if anyone could suggest how much computing power to have or any other method so that I could make my development process smooth.

The configurations of your pc are fine.

My personal computer has the same specs with a slight difference that I have 12 GiBs of main memory.

I had the same problem in the beginning (tho I started only a few months ago).

I suggest you use `make -j4` or a higher number for compilation.

And now my system does the compilation in less than 30 minutes.

What options are you using while building the kernel ??