Re: Do I need strong mathematical bases to work in the memory subsystem?

On 10/2/19 9:42 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
General plumbing is not needed, but predictive trees, and crypto certainly do and some hardware problems need calc, or even integration.

Those sound like hyper specific things and decidedly specif subsets of the kernel.

I believe that there is a LOT of room for kernel development that does not need advanced mathematics.

The harder the job, the more math is needed.

math ≠ advanced mathematics

I concede that quite a bit of math is used in the kernel. But advanced mathematics is a ⊂ of mathematics.

Maybe, but I don't think so.  And the hardware is getting more exotic.

IMHO the eccentricity of the hardware has no direct correlation to the complexity of the device driver controlling said hardware.

Driving an external serial attached modem does not require advanced mathematics. Creating a software based modem, be it kernel space and / or user space, does require advanced mathematics. Notice how the simpler hardware requires more math conversely the more complex hardware does more of the work, thus needing simpler drivers.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die