Re: Staging/netlogic coding style issues with struct

On Tue, 03 Sep 2019 01:26:17 -0300, Pablo Pellecchia said:

> *WARNING: struct  should normally be const#9: FILE:
> platform_net.h:9:+struct xlr_net_data {*
>
> A similar issue is reported when we declare a variable of type struct
> <something>, but in this case warning is reported on the struct definition
> itself.
>
> How can we fix this?

And in today's "How to debug checkpatch" lesson.. :)

First, figure out if checkpatch is in fact correct. It' just a Perl script,
and has no real idea of what the code is.

And double-checking, there's very few 'const struct' declarations in
include/linux/*.h.

So what's going on?  Good question. Actually looking at checkpatch.pl,
we find:

# check for various structs that are normally const (ops, kgdb, device_tree)
# and avoid what seem like struct definitions 'struct foo {'
                if ($line !~ /\bconst\b/ &&
                    $line =~ /\bstruct\s+($const_structs)\b(?!\s*\{)/) {
                        WARN("CONST_STRUCT",
                             "struct $1 should normally be const\n" . $herecurr);
                }

and $const_structs is initialized from scripts/const_structs.checkpatch
And that tells us 2 things:  First, this should only be triggering for structures
that are listed in that file, and the message *should* say something
like 'struct foo should normally be const', with $1 filling in the struct name.

So why is $1 not showing up? Damned good question.  And the file
checks just fine for me.

[/usr/src/linux-next]2 scripts/checkpatch.pl -f drivers/staging/netlogic/platform_net.h
total: 0 errors, 0 warnings, 0 checks, 21 lines checked

drivers/staging/netlogic/platform_net.h has no obvious style problems and is ready for submission.

Bingo!  This is what happens if the permissions on the file are messed up
and it can't read the file:

[/usr/src/linux-next] scripts/checkpatch.pl -f drivers/staging/netlogic/platform_net.h
No structs that should be const will be found - file '/usr/src/linux-next/scripts/const_structs.checkpatch': Permission denied
WARNING: struct  should normally be const
#9: FILE: drivers/staging/netlogic/platform_net.h:9:
+struct xlr_net_data {

So... you probably need to check the permissions, or if the file is missing
from your tree or empty or something. The version in my tree is 64 lines long.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go cook up a patch for this....