Re: changing parameters in build

Well I found and old post by John Criswell describing how he did his dissertation project SVA. He didn't use LTO but llvm-link. So I figure I would try to do it that way and see if this works since I am not sure how good the current support for LTO is. Will clang generally work if an external assembler is used?

As I said back on Friday, this is work that's already been done:

> There's no LTO support in the stock 4.19 tree, but Andi Kleen did a patchset
> for 4.15, and there's another patchset to enable LTO when using Clang rather
> than gcc. (I haven't tried either one, don't use on a production machine, as
> the resulting kernel may crash, eat filesystems, and/or turn your dog green...)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=andi+kleen+linux+4.15+lto

What you're probably going to run into is that adding the options
isn't the hard part of the project.  The hard part will be fixing all
the places where LTO exposes issues in the code, such as this
(already-fixed) problem:

https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg1620485.html