Diploma project with the Linux kernel

Hello,

I am a Computer Science student and for my last year I need to make and present a 'diploma project' at the end of June. So far I want to make a kernel module, whose description is in the following paragraph. I feel comfortable with C and my OS knowledge is maybe slightly better than my OS course. My question is: Would it possible to pull this off? I have no experience with the kernel and I want to get into kernel development, so this would be a perfect opportunity for that. My only issue is that this may be too complex for my experience.

My idea: Something along the lines of checkpoint-restart as a kernel module. I want to ultimately be able to migrate a running process to a different machine (assuming same at least some basic similarity). I know of BLCR and I am planning on using it as a guide, although I am unsure about working on it directly. As far as I know, the grading process does not require this to be 100% complete, so I am aiming at transferring at least all the memory, restoring file descriptors and maybe child processes/threads.

I will really appreciate any feedback!
Cheers,
Boyan