Re: first patch question

On 2018-08-07 12:47 AM, Nicholas Mc Guire wrote:
On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:15:04AM -0400, Greg Gallagher wrote:
Hi,
    I creating my first patch to the kernel.  I followed the
instruction on the newbies wiki and everything went smoothly.  I got
feedback from the maintainer to fix all the alignment issues in the
file instead of just the one i picked. My question is if I fix 10
alignment issues identified by checkpatch,pl should each fix be a
separate commit? Should I have a 10 commit patch set for the 10
alignment issues or is it better to make them all one commit since all
the commits are fixing alignment issues?

The main criteria I would say is reviewability - so there should be
no need to split it into 10 patches if it is aligment fixes.
If the 10 fixes are in one file I would make one patch out of it.
If it is in files that scripts/get_maintainer.pl suggests different
imaintainer/contributors/reviewers for then put it in seperate
patches - one for each group of maintainers/conributors/reviewers.

thx!
hofrat
Hi,
  Thanks very much for replying.  I took your advice and after an unrelated fat finger error I received an acked-by.  Do I have to do anything else at this point? Should I add the acked-by to the change log? I've read the documentation in the Documents/process directory and I can't find a clear answer.

Thanks again for everyone's time,

Greg