Re: Guidelines for Submitting an RFC PATCH

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 12:26:38 -0700, Joe Smith said:
> I understand the guidelines for submitting a PATCH and they are quite
> rigorous. What about submitting an RFC, since RFC is just to get early
> comments do I have to make sure that each patch in the RFC compiles or
> is it OK if all patches together compile and are there any other
> corners that I can cut.

The fewer corners you cut at the RFC stage, the less fixing you'll have to do
if response is favorable.  In particular, making sure the patch series is
bisectable (by making sure the kernel will still build and run after each patch
in the series) will save you a lot of restructuring of your commits later.

Plus, there's always the danger that the subsystem maintainer will see the
series, decide it's both (a) needed and (b) just fine as it is, and commit it. :)