Re: Query on mechanisms to communicate between kernel modules in Linux

Hi,

I am just a beginner. I have tried procfs, Netlink socket to communicate between user space and kernel space and it works fine.

I am developing a monitoring utility to trace the VFS operation and find the frequency of VFS function calls. This monitoring utility runs in kernel space. We have to record the occurrence of each  VFS function calls (like vfs_open(), vfs_read()).  I don't know  which is best mechanism to report this VFS event to the monitoring utility.

Could anyone please suggest the best mechanism to transfer data frequently between kernel modules.

Thank you!

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 09:39:31AM +0530, Neil Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to share information between two kernel modules (Kernel version 4.0
> or above). What are the ways of communication between kernel modules in
> Linux.

What have you tried that did not work out?

> Please list out the available mechanisms to do this.

This feels like a homework question to me, are you sure you are not just
asking for us to do your work for you?  :)

thanks,

greg k-h