My kernel patch was rejected with comments

Hi,

I submitted a kernel patch and it was rejected with comments from
maintainer. Is it important to reply with a new patch against
maintainers response mail? Or it it ok if I send a new email with the
updated patch?

I have mutt and git send-mail setup but I can only send mail with
those. How do I reply to a maintainers comment?

I manually copied Message-ID from gmail web GUI and tried using it in
"--in-reply-to" with git send email but when I saw the linux mailing
list, it did weird things. It sent a blank reply to maintainers email
and sent a new mail with my updated patch.

Is there any tutorial on how can a I setup my workflow?

Any inputs will be of great help here!

Regards, Pj