Re: Booting of Linux kernel

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016, 8:10 PM Er Krishna <erkrishna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all

I have a basic question for understanding :

If we want to boot the Linux kernel without bootloader what needs to be done?

In other words what all the core subsystem like memory and all
needs initialisation by bootloader and if bootloader is not there then how to do it ?

I'm also a newbie but whatever I know I tell you.
When you start/reset your board, there are some code in the ROM, which looks for your
code at a particular address in an internal RAM. The size of this RAM is limited, so this
code should initialize the regular RAM then load rest of your code and initialize other parts
of the board. I've read that previously kernel used to include a bootloader but I think after
availability of more general bootloaders, it has been removed.

On which board do you want to test this? You may read docs and read bootloaders code to
learn where ROM looks for your code and how to initialize RAM and load your code.

Last but not least you need arm-none-eabi compiler and some linker scripts to place you code
at a particular address.

Thanks
Krishna

Regards,