Re: Does a kernel developer need a hardware to do kernel development?

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016, 7:28 AM <Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 23:07:11 -0000, Amit Kumar said:

> Does a kernel developer need a hardware (e.g. board) to do kernel
> development?

That *really* depends on exactly what part of the kernel the developer is
working on.   If you're  monkeying with the IPv6 code in the networking
stack, or adding new features to btrfs, all you need is any system that
can support a network connection or a disk.

But if you're trying to cram a Linux kernel onto specific new hardware,
how are you going to test the drivers without at least access to the hardware?
You may not need the hardware yourself, but at the very least you will need
somebody who *does* have the hardware and is willing/able to test for you.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm able to send patch using sendmail and git, which you have seen yesterday "initest".
I'm able to apply patch using git-am.  But I am unable to setup mutt to download patch
from this emailid.
How to setup mutt to download patches?
--

Regards,