Re: Difference between config, menuconfig and defconfig

Hi,

Thanks for your response,

I have gone through "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" by Greg Kroah-Hartman.

What he states in that book is :

Default Configuration Options:
Every kernel version comes with a “default” kernel configuration. This configuration is loosely based on the defaults that the kernel maintainer of that architecture feels are the best options to be used.

That means kernel maintainer will define default configuration for his architecture not for all architecture, I mean kernel maintainer might have defined configuration for x86, not for ARM, POWERPC and all, is my understanding correct?, if not please correct me.

Thanks
Madhu

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Andrea D'Amore <and.damore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 19 September 2016 at 07:43, Madhu K <madhu.sk89@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am Kernel newbie, I want to know the difference between config, menuconfig
> and defconfig.

Check the configuring and building chapter of book "Linux Kernel in a
Nutshell" by Greg Kroah-Hartman who's on this list.

--
Andrea