Re: gdtr value

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM, horseriver <horserivers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:25:43PM +0000, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM, horseriver <horserivers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures
> Software Developer’s Manual
> Volume 3A:
> System Programming Guide, Part 1
> page 65
>
> The linear address of the base of the GDT is contained in the GDT register
> (GDTR);
> the linear address of the LDT is contained in the LDT register (LDTR).

   Thanks!

   As the value is a linear address , so when  load an segment descriptor from an address ,
   such as lss ubstruction: lss 0x10023,%esp , cpu will check to make sure  this stack descriptor
   exist in gdt .
   So , we will get a linear address by the gdtr value and the descriptor's index , then  *if this linear address*
   has not phisical page mapped , it will cause a pagefault trap.then ,how to resolve this trap?

Please use reply all or add kernelnewbies to CC
I am not very sure of how this trap will be resolved, but you can have a look at this:
Understanding Linux Kernel
Section 9.4

 http://www.makelinux.net/books/ulk3/understandlk-CHP-9-SECT-4

--