Re: Any way to do time keeping during kernel uncompression[ARM architecture]

Hi Dave.
Ok
Can you tell me which thing runs faster ?
1)Copy zImage(compressed kernel) from flash to Ram, jump to start, Relocate compress kernel, uncompress it...
2)Copy Image(uncompressed one) from flash to RAM and run it right away...

My gut feeling says second one is better, thats what i m trying to prove here... :)

Thanks
Sandeep.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Dave Hylands <dhylands@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey sandeep,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM, sandeep kumar <coolsandyforyou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All
> On ARM, Just for learning i am working on booting with uncompressed kernel.
>
> I am meddling with arch/arm/boot/compressed/head.S, and understand the relocation/decompression stuff through putting some logs.
>
> I want to check how much time it takes for kernel to relocate itself and how much time it takes to decompress etc.,
>
> Is there any possibility of seeing the current time stamp here, like a register which keeps on counting immediately after boot..

You're essentially running at the bootloader level here. You haven't started the kernel so the only timers that you have are whatever your bootloader has setup, or whatever you want to setup yourself (bare-metal programming here).

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada

--